How Many Days After Fertile Window Can You Get Pregnant

What are the chances of getting pregnant during your cycle? Can you get pregnant after ovulation or while you’re on your period?

If you get your period regularly and don’t have any conditions (like PCOS) that influence ovulation, you’ll ovulate around the middle of your cycle (days 10-14) in about 92% to 96% of cycles; in the remaining 4%-6% of cycles, ovulation never occurs (this is perfectly normal).

In a cycle where ovulation occurs, recent estimates suggest the chances of conception are between 3% seven days before ovulation and 42% the day before ovulation. Estimates from other studies suggest peak chances of conception are a bit lower — closer to 38% according to some, or 20% according to others. Differences in study methodology and the demographics of the women who are in their sample (e.g., age, if women with any reproductive conditions were screened out) may in part explain the variation in estimates among studies.

If those five days overlap in any way with the 24 hours that an egg can be fertilized, since sperm can survive up to five days in the female reproductive tract, getting pregnant *is* entirely possible if you have sex in the days preceding ovulation rather than on the actual day of ovulation. Even though ovulation has not yet taken place, having sex in the days prior to it increases the likelihood that some sperm will be waiting for the egg once it is released. Consequently, the closer you are to ovulation, the greater your chances of getting pregnant become.

But is it possible to become pregnant outside the “fertile window” (i.e., after ovulation or during your period)? e. If you have regular-length cycles and periods (i.e., the five days prior to ovulation and the day of ovulation), it is physiologically impossible to conceive. This means that you cannot conceive while you are having a period or the day following ovulation (or in the days that follow). This changes if your follicular phase is abnormally short. However, keep in mind that not all women ovulate on day 14. If you ovulate on day 9 or 10, that means you can get pregnant from sex you had on day 4 or 5 of your period (#math).

How Ovulation Works

It’s essential to comprehend your ovulation cycle if you want to become pregnant or prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Ovulation, to put it simply, is the time during your cycle when one of your ovaries releases a mature egg. This typically occurs on or around day 14 of a 28-day cycle, with day 1 of the period serving as day 1 of the cycle. Of course, this figure is not absolute, and every woman is unique. The ovulation lasts for about 10 days on average. The fertility window is when a woman is most likely to become pregnant.

Five hormones are involved in the female reproductive hormonal process known as ovulation. GnRH, FSH, and LH are three of those hormones that are produced in the brain, while progesterone and estrogen are produced in the ovaries.

The follicular phase

The follicular phase is a different stage that begins on the first day of a period. The ovaries produce approximately 5–20 follicles with an immature egg each when the FSH hormone is present. This increases estrogen, which in turn thickens the uterine lining. The average number of days in the follicular phase is 16, but it can last anywhere between 11 and 27. The ovulation of one (occasionally two) eggs marks the end of the phase.

Is it possible to get pregnant after ovulation is over?

Leave a Comment